Saturday 5 May 2012

Be with me - in my violence !


A lot of media stories are talking of atrocities on infants and children these days. And needless to say, mostly they are about the female child and human trafficking sometimes. Babies found dumped in dustbins, children who’ve succumbed to the blind lust of lecherous men – trying to suck out their innocence. Infants, who’re products of violence and have been consumed by it.

Media works for its ‘bites’, and such stories attract good attention. But I have seen such mishaps with my eyes- when ironically, I had more pressing concerns, such as, catching a train on time or putting my car on ignition as the lights turned green, at a red light. I couldn’t have possibly done much in all those situations, given that I had been a girl myself and there were hoards of approving or indifferent eyes around. But they left some deep-seated impressions and a powerful imagery.

In some public places, as acts of downplayed violence, even in a ladies queue, women constantly nudge you to move ahead, with no space to move. Leave alone what would happen with men around. You’re sized up for the girth of your curves with those scrutinizing eyes, badgered with some lewd comments etc. In exclusive circles, the handling is subtle. For sure, all this is not generically applicable to both genders.

Violence is being manifested in many different ways.. The ones in thoughts, actions, words and emotions. There's a social amalgamation taking place with the advent of globalization, media and internet. Social thinkers had predicted such implications long back. But what worries me, if at all, is the realization of a theory, that we, human beings understand but little, of morality, fairness and other such beatific and pacific ideals - that it's a venal humanity subject to morality in the purview of self-interest.

Although, the debate that whether institutions would always be needed for decorum, or can we be instinctively led, would be a long ranging one - but it's just a wish, that one day we would. Unfortunately, even peace is interpreted as a case of one-up-man-ship mostly. It's an every soul's need. And by virtue of a human birth, I believe, it's deserved too..Till then, I think, we'll be looking up to the heaven's above, seeking some solace in our individual violence !


4 comments:

  1. Congrats for the well written post first.

    As rightly noticed and put in by you, this apparently downplayed and marginally 'innocent' tortures are very common. I am sure all of us has seen or tried not to see a lot of this in different forms all around. Our country being as it is (economically and educationally), its difficult to change things in short span of time on a large scale. So it's easier to shun away from places which might cause this abominable trouble. But then sometimes just taking a stand, even at the cost of being noticed in a long queue, might help. Just auto-locking ears for apparently lewd comments & not moving ahead even when some lowly fingers poke you might be a little difference that we can start with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment Abhishek :)

    I agree with you completely except for what we really understand with education and economy per se. I feel these problems are regardless of how well-educated or economically well-off the people are..We are not sensitized enough about our being human and the value of 'goodness' in general.But yes, taking a stand helps..

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very well presented article, Medha, on violence as engulfs each of us.
    My understanding is in line with your subject "my violence". That we barely know of our violent nature, leave aside understanding it. Violence towards another person/group or opposite sex has been in all forms including subtle forms e.g. clapping for anothers achievement (with envy), wearing revealing or skin-tight clothes (see me first!), racing for the first day show or new car and as you have said "peace as a case of one-up-man-ship" (superiority).
    And to expand on "And by virtue of a human birth", across life, it starts with the race to be first to pregnate the egg.
    As I try to understand myself more, I am inclined to think that morality and fairness would manifest from a deep awareness of "MY violence". Till then moralistic institutions would be required to bring semblence of "peace".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks :) And I think I'll take my turn to compliment you for explaining it so well for yourself. Feel honored by the interest it evoked :) On a lighter side - I think Amir Khan took up my case really well after this post! ;)

    ReplyDelete